Had this strange urge to make vanilla icecream yesterday. Hahaha yes urge to make it, not eat it. So anyway. Here it is.
I altered the recipe slightly. Just the amount of sugar actually.
Vanilla Bean Icecream
Recipe from Martha Stewart
2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise and scraped
2 cups milk, chilled
6 large egg yolks
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2 cups heavy cream
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (I didnt add this)
(I used only 1/4 cup of sugar i think. And i used my vanilla sugar. Double whammy! Haha!)
- Split the vanilla bean lengthwise and boil them in a saucepan with your milk. Turn off the fire and remove the vanilla beans.
- Scrape the seeds into the hot milk.
- In a separate bowl (i used a measuring cup which is easier to pour later on), whisk the egg yolks and sugar together. Then whisk in the heavy cream.
- Start heating the milk again on low. Constantly whisking, pour in the egg yolk mixture in a steady stream.
- It should start to thicken. Don’t overcook it if not it’ll start to curdle. Heat until it’s thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Chill the mixture in a bowl.
- When totally chilled, churn in your icecream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
If you don’t have an icecream maker, freeze in a cold metal container and mix every hour for about 4 to 5 times or until you get your desired icecream consistency. Freeze to firm up in a container afterwards 🙂
Starting to get really thick and creamy already.
I’m using a icecream maker bowl on my Kitchenaid btw.
You should get a thick, smooth and soft consistency. Put in a container and put in the freezer to firm up.
Scoop and enjoy!
Hope you guys like this post. I have another one on fruit sorbets coming up 😉 Can’t wait till chinese new year so i can take a break. SAVE ME FROM SCHOOL!